Have you ever erased some files from a flash memory? I did that with a bunch of photos by mistake, and then realized what I had done. But not everything is lost, as you probably can recover them (as long as you haven’t formatted the memory, or copied new files on top of them).
So if that has happened to you, or in case this ever happens again to me, here is what you can do to recover them.
DISCLAIMER: this worked for me after trying a lot of things. It may work for you, but it may not. If you do this, you do it at your own risk.
So how did I got the files back?
First, I used gddrescue (which should be packaged in most distros, at least it is in Debian and derivatives) to create an image of the flash memory. gddrescue will try to create it even if the memory is damaged, skipping the damaged files.
I created the image with:
ddrescue -v /dev/sdb Recovered ddrescue.log
Where -v is verbose mode, /dev/sdb is where the memory was mounted, Recovered is the image which will be created and ddrescue.log is, as it’s name says, ddrescue’s log file, which is really useful since it can resume an image thanks to it.
And now what? Let’s use foremost to scan the image and get the recoverable files from it. From foremost’s manpage:
foremost – Recover files using their headers, footers, and data structures
I run it with:
foremost -i Recovered -o recovered_files/
foremost will put the recovered files (if any) under some subfolders in recovered_files/
And that’s it! I don’t know whether this will work for you. It did for me, so I’m posting this here in case I need it again in the future. But feel free to leave a comment saying whether it worked for you or not.
So far Liferea actually has localized feedlists for English, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Catalan, German, Spanish, Basque, French, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Slovakian, Slovenian and Turkish. So if your language is missing in the list, make one and submit it upstream! Or attach it to the bug report and I’ll forward it. You can base it in any of these. Hint: make them as distro neutral as possible, since they are targeted upstream! Also note that with the current implementation, there needs to be a Translation for your language in order for the localized feedlist to be used, since it’s set up in one string translation.
It’s time to make Liferea rock in Ubuntu a lot more, helping Liferea upstream providing localized feedlists too!
Emmet Hikory has volunteered for running a session about how to read stack
traces (thanks Emmet!).
(Quoting from wikipedia):
“A stack trace (also called stack backtrace or stack traceback) is a report of
the active stack frames instantiated by the execution of a program. They are
mostly used to aid debugging by showing where exactly an error occurs. The last
few stack frames often indicate the origin of the bug.”
So knowing them well means you will be able to triage a lot of more bug reports,
and possibly fixing them. Also, since these reports are usually crashes they are
very important, so don’t doubt this is an incredible opportunity for learning a
very important stuff.
It will be run this Saturday at 11:00 UTC on #ubuntu-classroom on Freenode. So
if you are interested on it, just join us there! It will be a really interesting
session and we will learn a very useful thing, with our master persia.
So don’t forget to come, and also let your friends know about this, so they can
See you there!
Up to now I’ve visited the following countries:
That means I’ve been in almost all the Europe Union. On the other hand, I haven’t travelled to other continents, except that I visited Israel and Jordan.
So my next step should the US, since I have some family to visit there!
This is my first post on the Ubuntu planet, so /me waves!
Although I would like to make a nice post to introduce myself here, I’m afraid I won’t do it [for now].
As Daniel, I’ve lost my gpg key… but I didn’t have a revoke certificate. At least the key isn’t compromised, since I’ve lost it on a HDD failure. Sad I don’t have a backup of it…
And I haven’t lost just the gpg key, but also all my /home partition. Luckily I have a recent back up, and I haven’t lost too much valuable data. But I’ve learned that hidden dirs are also important to back up!
So the 305368A1 key has joint the dead keys. New key: 4A08B2FE.
Also, and because of the disk failure, I have done a clean install of Gutsy, and it looks great. It is an amazing work. So let polish it now and make the best release we have ever seen!